Monday, January 12, 2009

Presidential Gastronomy 101

The Congressional Inaugural Committee announced today their menu for lunch on the day of the inauguration, a lunch where the honored guest will be the newly sworn-in President Barack Obama. They have announced a Lincoln-style lunch consisting of fish stew, pheasant, duck, and apple sponge cake. Apparently, Honest Abe liked simple meals. It got me thinking about what my not-so-simple ideal lunch would be (it would definitely include, among many other items, beef brisket and doughnuts from The Pit Barbecue in Iowa City).

I’m pretty sure that while President Obama and other guests at the lunch are having their “simple” meal, I will probably be eating a frozen energy bar pulled from my pocket in the middle of my trek through the cold back to my brother in-law’s house. That is, of course, if security lets me through to the ceremony with an energy bar in the first place. I think a good breakfast may be in order that day.

In the spirit of dead president-inspired meals, I’ll do some research into presidential breakfast favorites, and theme my inaugural morning feast in that manner. Check back as the day nears for updates on my progress, and if anyone has any insight that could help me, it would be most appreciated. I have a feeling that beginning with some research on President Taft may be wise…

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging about your trip. What a great idea. I can't wait to hear all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for making this blog! I really wanted to go because my dad has a cousin there who invited us but we decided not to.


    -Stefan Schmidt-

    ReplyDelete