Friday, January 16, 2009

Now THAT'S What I'm Talking About

Progress, people. Progress indeed.

Just as I was starting to lose hope, I came across a tasty nugget of information last night. Apparently, the breakfast favorite of Presidents Thomas Jefferson, Calvin Coolidge, and Lyndon Johnson was pancakes. Now we're finally getting somewhere. Anyone who knows me knows my affection for pancakes runs deep and wide. In fact, you can have your mountaintops and sunrises over oceans. I'll take the majesty of slow bubbles in silver-dollar sized batter on a hot griddle any day. As a matter of fact, I've busted the guts of many a friend in fall with my annual tradition of making flapjack o'lanterns.

This news came at a time when I was ready to throw in the towel and submit to something nasty for my inaugural morning feast. In fact, I had just learned that President Ulysses S. Grant's favorite breakfast was broiled mackerel, spinach, steak, bacon, and fried apples. And I thought Kennedy had unhealthy mornings. Seriously, though, these guys needed a class on the food pyramid.

Anyway, barring any new research- and I will keep looking- it looks like pancakes may be the winner. No word on toppings (maple or blueberry?), but I don't even want to know what Nixon put on his.

No comments:

Post a Comment